WARNING
I will continue to celebrate motherhood. So if breasts, birth, dilation and mother's milk makes you uncomfortable please consider yourself warned.
Follow at your own risk. You'll find the follow button at the bottom of the side bar.

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Bedazzling the Feminist

My first daughter was in my womb dreaming of feather boas and purple play shoes while I was buying action figures and trucks. When she danced in my womb it was to the rhythm of Sharon Olds' poetry. I read to her from The Book of the City of Ladies by Christine de Pizan not Cinderella. By the time she was full term my uterus was so full with stories of powerful women that there was hardly any room left for amniotic fluid.
My daughter was born genetically predisposed to Barbie and everything that sparkles. All her gender neutral toys were tossed to make room for a pink play kitchen and shopping cart.

I planned to shape her into a jean loving mini feminist.
She is bedazzling my inner feminist instead. I am learning that a girl can win a mud fight in a multi tiered dress and have mud to spare for pretend chocolate muffins. She is wild, fierce and girly. Her femininity knows no boundaries. I watch in adoration as she defines herself from scratch.
Now all I need to do is relax and try not to mess it up.

21 comments:

Amy said...

Looks like a mess but she had a great time..

The Royal Family said...

she is stinking cute!

Snarky Belle said...

Love this post, love you, love the pic of your girl...just feeling the love! :)

Kate said...

This is so wonderful! I think it's such a hard thing for parents to let go of what they want for their children, and just let their children be the wonderful little people that they are!

http://www.papermoonies.blogspot.com said...

Ok I love the term fun bags!!
And your babys are cute!
Brittany
http://www.papermoonies.blogspot.com

Multiple personalities.. said...

She's too cute! I love how you put it, that she bedazzles your inner feminist! That's something special...have a great SITs day!

B said...

Just go with it - she is a beauty!

Dumb Mom said...

UGGH! Wish I had just one daughter. Not that my boys aren't awesome, but I don't think Hubby appreciates that #3 loves carrying a purse. Thanks for stopping by again for the party:)

Danyele Easterhaus said...

that is some good stuff!

The Redhead Riter said...

Stopping by from SITS to say HI

Easy to stand back when they are young...much harder when they turn 16

noexcuses said...

What fun! She is absolutely precious!

Chris said...

I love to watch them become themselves!

supahmommy- somethin's wrong with that girl said...

I love that.. don't mess it up.

sits friend.

d

Michelle said...

"Bedazzling your inner feminist"......I love that!!!

JennyMac said...

I love this Jen! She is too cute. And yes, get in your mud fight and bake your victory cupcakes you little rock star.

Tracey said...

I LOVE this post! Our children are the teachers, not the parents. Great pics!

Mrs4444 said...

FANtastic. I love this.

Becky said...

I love this picture! It is absolutly adorable:)

Thanks so much for stopping by on my SITS day! I love your photography!

Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice said...

I can't say anything sarcastic to that, it was a very inspiring message and a great tribute to your daughter who, by the way, looks adorable even covered in mud!

Blessed Chick said...

Your girls are just beautiful. Love the real life photos!!

Kara said...

I have a friend in this same situation - thought she'd have a sporty tomboy like herself but has a pink princess. I'm fascinated by the concept - the stereotype of feminism seems turned on its head, but really what we want is for girls to be whatever they want. Good post!