WARNING
I will continue to celebrate motherhood. So if breasts, birth, dilation and mother's milk makes you uncomfortable please consider yourself warned.
Follow at your own risk. You'll find the follow button at the bottom of the side bar.

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Let Them Make Cake

Scrap the Easy-Bake Oven and go for the real deal. Just let them make cake. A flour coated, sugar dusted and icing smeared bit of happiness. This is our cake artist in training. I had grand plans we were going to mold, pour and bake together but her Daddy stole my thunder. It turns out he is her official cake buddy and I got stuck with cleaning duty.

The trick to a fun cake is fondant. You can make your own or cheat great cake with boxed cake mix and ready made fondant. We snagged ours at Wal-Mart in the baking/crafting section by the wedding goodies. Rew is a fondant sculpting natural. All the hours she spends hiding play dough in the cracks of the couch finally paid off. They practiced for weeks before her actual birthday. She sketched out her cake design, rolled the fondant and whipped up butter cream icing. On her birthday she was ready to create the ultimate cake and when I saw what they managed my draw dropped. You can't create this kind of magic with an Easy-Bake...

We had a little help from our Fairy Cakemother..
Two Sweet Cakes
She sent us the soft and edible fondant pearls and a pack of sugar cats. They were just the spark Princess Rew needed to fire up her dreams. It made glamming the cake up as easy as squirt and stick!


It's time for Wordful Wednesday!!

11 comments:

sheila said...

WOW! that is really great!

cat said...

The cakes are fantastic!

♥ Kathy said...

That is awesome! She did a great job!

Jill of All Trades said...

I had one of these when I was a kid some 40+ years ago. It had a knock-off Barbie, called Babette.

Emmy said...

Such a great cake!! And so fun that she was able to help out

Unknown said...

Wow that is an awesome cake! I can't wait to try using fondant with my son for his daddy's birthday. Thanks for sharing!

Stacy Uncorked said...

That is the best Barbie cake I've ever seen! Nicely done! :) I especially love the drawing... :)

Colette S said...

That is pretty cool!love the photos!

Admin said...

What a great Barbie cake Rew. You did such a wonderful job..I'm in awe!!! To be able to draw your design on paper and then to transform it into a real cake...WOW! You have so much talent. I look forward to seeing more. Maybe someday they'll have an Ultimate Cake Off for kids...

Your "Fairy Cake Godmother"
Dawn
Two Sweet Cakes

annies home said...

that is so cute did you use a mold or something?

Anonymous said...

Oh, my mom used to make me birthday cakes like this - barbie cakes! It brings back memories! Sadly, I don't get to do barbie cakes. However, I make a mean tank cake!